Sudden or long-term trauma can overwhelm the body and mind, causing prolonged periods of physical and emotional distress. It also can lead to an unregulated nervous system and may result in chronic pain, fatigue, poor health and feelings of grief, rage, helplessness, abandonment, hopelessness and a lost sense of self. At Hope Chiropractic & Yoga, we’ll help you work through the physical and psychological manifestations caused by trauma and restore hope, inspiration and trust in your innate ability to heal.
Recognizing Trauma and Its Affects
According to trauma specialist and author, Dr. Peter Levine,” Trauma is the great masquerader and participant in many maladies and ‘dis-eases’ that afflicts sufferers. Unresolved trauma is responsible for the majority of illnesses of modern mankind.” Even though the actual trauma incident is in the past, trauma residues are alive in the present as undigested, unexpressed, unresolved and trapped energy in the brain, nervous system, muscles and body. Traumatic events stimulate a “fight, flight or freeze” response, also known as sympathetic arousal that often leaves us feeling anxious, helpless, hyper vigilant, exhausted, and unable to relax or restore.
Keys to Resolving Trauma
One of the keys to resolving trauma lies in restoring and releasing trapped energy in a safe, gentle way through autonomic regulation and rebalancing of the brain, nervous system and musculature. New research in the field of neuroplasticity and neurological resilience offers hope for those who have suffered trauma, loss or accidents to not only survive and recover, but also be able thrive in life and health again. The traumatic “fight-flight-freeze” response can gradually be replaced with a healthy vitality, a restored sense of self and an inner environment of trust, safety, peace, presence, hope and optimism.
Our Techniques for Trauma Recovery
Our pioneering approach used for trauma recovery when combined with traditional or non-traditional therapies, which may include medical or psychological counseling, will synergistically enhance your recovery. The good news is that the nervous system is capable of restoring balance and equilibrium, which allows for pain and stress reduction, increased energy, optimal health, peace and presence. Our brains, nervous system and bodies are resilient and designed to heal and recover with appropriate healing modalities. Here are some of the approaches we will use when treating trauma:
- Specific, precise, non-force chiropractic release techniques focused not on bone manipulation, but releasing the tone or hertz frequency of trauma; balances, restores and regulates the brain and nervous system
- Gentle, restorative yoga that liberates the accumulated stress and trapped energies that compromise health and well being; therapeutic yoga promotes a healthy, sustainable relaxation response to reduce stress and improve moods and sleep
- Neuro-emotional stress release techniques; addresses, corrects and replaces trauma residues in posture, muscle memory and emotional reactivity
- Muscle memory recovery and restoration
- Psoas and muscular “fight-flight-freeze” release techniques
- Vagus nerve reactivity reduction via gentle, tonal chiropractic
- Auriculotherapy (or needle-less acupuncture) using micro-current stimulation on the auricule of the ear to reduce chronic pain, muscle spasm and restore balanced brain chemistry and endorphins
- Natural brain chemistry and neurotransmitter enhancement
- Meditation and breathing techniques that relax and regulate the brain and nervous system
- Custom designed practices to cultivate presence and restore your lost sense of self
- Resolution of trauma induced visual field blockages
- Sustainable do-it-yourself solutions for empowering self-care
Click here and get started today by setting up a free initial consult.